Monday, October 30, 2006

college essays

So i was just writing Yale's second essay yesterday and i just realized something. It might seem really obvious to everyone else but I dunno why, this relevation really struck me...hard. I'M GROWING UP!!!!. After writing the essay (it was a personal statement...they wanted to know how a certain experience changed your outlook...feelings stuff like that), when i was re-reading it, I really could not believe that I had written it! It was so unlike my usual self.

I remembered that when i was writing it, there was no hesitation and everything flowed really freely. I guess that's coz this was the first essay that I have written which is purely, PURELY based on my feelings and emotions. I think everyone should be made to write like that; then they would be less confused and they would see more that is true about themselves.

You know how people say that many people don't know what they're really like coz its difficult to look at yourself objectively and criticize yourself?? It's completely true. I've experienced it and you want to know how?? By writing this and other college essays.

[I've also discovered that me and my dad DO NOT have the same opinion about writing...our styles are completely different. His is so, so much more formal. I can be both formal and informal but not formal to the extent that he is. He uses such big words!!! like in every single sentence!!!! egad. Also, both of us hate someone else criticizing our work. But we also love to criticize other people's work. We have this fiendish desire to point out their mistakes. Or maybe that's just me. =D]

So basically, my whole point is that even though writing them might be a HUGE, MAJOR pain in the ass, college essays really provide you with insights to yourself when you read them after you've written them. I can honestly say that if my postgraduate application asks me what was the most enriching experience I've ever had, I would definitely write about my exprience of writing these essays and how they've helped me look at myself in a different light. Or maybe not. Depending on my college life for the next couple of years.

omg. I am going to COLLEGE (UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!) in like A YEAR. where did all that time go??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FEEL OLD!! Life sucks less. Cause you'll die soon, and you can't do much fun stuff anymore either. Touchwood.

I'm slacking by the way, as if you couldn't tell. I have this weird heck care vibe now...I sort of feel that everything will be alright you know, that things will fall into place if I let them. Sort of like Yoh in Shaman King. Deal with the situation when it comes instead of worrying, trying to predict the future and dying of hypertension.

Anyway, I hope to see you successful and rich in 10 years time, making your first billion and then if you will, remember this old friend and give her a job in your new company. Just tell me if I need to do engineering though, cause then I'll have to consider.

Anonymous said...

Also, i remember the old blog and went to look at it. No more survivor for you now huh...

Anonymous said...

hey! won't tell u who i am, figure it out! or guess. they mean the same. whatever. bye bye! cheerio!