I am so pretty, and witty and gaaaaaaaay!
Guess why!
Coz….*drum roll*
I WATCHED POTC TWOOOOOOO!!! It was AWESOME. And it exceeded my expectations. And Johnny depp has a new HARDCORE fan!!! Coz he’s so HOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg. And I will not let the fact that he has kissed practically every hot girl in Hollywood and the fact that his wife is very hot, deter me in my obsession of him.
=D Basically, it was brill. And my brother helped! Surprisingly. He was sitting next to me. And during all the scary parts (there were none…I meant the parts where some evil/foul creature jumps unexpectedly into the screen accompanied by a loud sound), my brother and I yelled and shrieked and screamed. Until the guy sitting on my other side, this (quite cute) guy wearing formal clothes, perceptibly edged away. Ah well. But it was fun!!!! And then after that we ate NAAN in the foodcourt at inorbit. i love naan. =D
You know, the theatres here have air-con! Hahaa…ok kidding. Its not like for 1 minute I expected the theatres in Inorbit Mall to not have AC. I mean c’mon. People from out of town have heard of this mall. SHAH RUKH KHAN filmed in this mall recently. This mall has like posh shops and EVERYTHING. In fact, if you don’t go into the toilets (which are surprisingly quite clean. But still not up to Singapore standards), once you enter the mall, it reminds you of a mall in Singapore. Seriously. It's pretty surprising. I am forced to admit this. Because I pride myself in being truthful about the things that I say bad things about.
I am a very moral person.
Oh who am I kidding??? Just because I watched JOHNNY DEPP IN ACTION, doesn’t mean I’m more acclimatized to the environment here (though it did help to a certain extent)! Just because ONE MALL - which is the size of a microscopic cell, compared to the size of Bombay, is air-conditioned and posh, and which has a bookshop with all these cool books – is all trendy and sells nothing for less than a thousand rupees (the lower limit is something higher, probably)…just because there’s this mall near my house, doesn’t mean India’s problems are solved!
Mumbai is supposed to be the financial CAPITAL of India, which is a fast-developing nation, with one of the world’s HIGHEST GDP rates. There are THOUSANDS of talented young minds here, just waiting to be discovered. Indian companies are bringing in TONS of money every year and, as a result, the economy is rising steeply. And everyone is saying that India is going to be the next big thing. Yet, there are THOUSANDS of illiterate, starving, diseased people here. WHY?? Because the people in the government are too busy lining their pockets (with something made of paper and which looks like – I dunno? Maybe money?!?!??!) to care about some guy on some mud-path in some village in some part of India who is dying of poverty and all the other bad conditions that come with it (think package deal).
So, if you think about it, all the money that India earns, every year – the money that Indians rake in, by the penny, is contributing towards the fattening up of some local politician. Who couldn’t care less about india’s future, who is only concerned with his stomach (and maybe his bowels too) and who is probably as illiterate as the guy on the mud-path in the village someplace who is dying of poverty. Of course, the money doesn’t go directly – that’s the beauty of taxes isn’t it?
In India, taxes don’t go into improving the living standards of the people like in all other countries (ok maybe not all, but in developed countries at least). They serve mainly to hide the corruption (that is very evident!) of the Indian government. They tax everything so that they can earn money, so that they can live in larger houses, with, maybe, a swimming pool (when people are suffering to obtain water and when, especially in places like Chennai, water shortages hit the city every other day) and 5 cars (when the pollution is horribly rampant all over India, except in the undeveloped places, which in the near future, are going to be developed and polluted too).
I suppose you can say, like my parents always do in heated defence of India’s political system, whenever I start my treatise on how corrupted it is, that India does have one of the most democratic system in the world – you can go as far to say that in many ways, India has the ONLY truly democratic political system in the world. Which is good.
In theory.
But, in real life, people here are not educated enough to realize this – the fact that since this is true of the system here, THEY, and not the political party ruling the government, have the actual power. They can make changes to the nation. They can help transform this nation into something much much better than what China is becoming (in my opinion, China is becoming another Singapore, albeit with a much larger economy, and a larger reservoir of resources). They can do so much – yet they know so little. Their illiteracy is what is holding back this nation. Their willingness to vote for some undeserving party, as long as they get a few bucks, is what is preventing India from achieving her true potential.
And this is the truth. According to me. Unfortunately, as my mum says, I’m too idealistic.
Time to sink back down to earth and do some SAT prep. I’m way behind, especially since I have to do THREE SAT SUBJECT TESTS to get admission into NUS. I swear, if I wasn’t Singaporean, I would SO not apply to NUS (which is ONLY my back-up). Its so narrow-minded. HOW CAN ADMISSION ONLY BE BASED ON ACADEMICS?? That is so not fair. I am as good as any other tom, dick or harry who has gone through the Singapore education system. Stop saying that I’m not. And don’t deny that you’re saying that coz the evidence is staring right in my face.
Ok now im pissed off. Weird how my moods fluctuate. Ok then. Off to do some SAT prep.
JOY.
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment