Monday, July 24, 2006

Missuniverse

I know that it’s a debasing contest that is held every year for the sole purpose of deciding who looks best on the outside, and does not focus on anything remotely to do with the inner beauty. I know it. It runs through my head, especially every year at around this time…when I sit down and watch it. I can understand why guys want to watch this show – I mean which guy wouldn’t right. They watch it for the same reason they watch Baywatch – hello. Nobody watches Baywatch for its awesome plot, no matter what Mia (from Princess Diaries) says about how intellectually stimulating this program is. But why do girls watch???

I mean, take, for example, me, who believes firmly that girls should not constantly strive to enhance their outer beauty, at least not without ensuring that their inner beauty is achieved to its fullest potential. I believe that, and I do believe that I believe that. I really really do. Then WHY am I unable to resist the lure of the television remote every year around this time when miss universe airs on tv? WHY?? I feel so guilty. It’s like I’m violating my code of ethics. But I really cannot resist.

Pooey.

Anyway, all I can say after that rant is: I missed watching the show live on tv this morning (hello. It was at 6.30 am…I mean who wakes up at 6.30 in the morning during holidays man!) so I am going to catch the repeat on star world at 8 pm today. I know its degrading and debasing to women – but I have to watch it. I just have to! So stop attacking me, you inner-demons!

Anyway, the weather in Mumbai is twisted. Seriously. I mean one day, actually for 2 straight days, it was raining the WHOLE day. I kid you not – the whole day. When I woke up it was raining, when I ate breakfast it was raining, when I took a bath it was raining, when I ate lunch it was raining…you get the picture. It never let up, the whole day. I know, this may seem unbelievable but its true – my mum says that that usually happens for a whole week, but this year it only happened for TWO days (another prime evidence of global warming. Soon the monsoon season will be shortened to 1 minute or something. Only then will the government in India realize that they have to ban diesel and promote the sale of petrol as a fuel to run motor vehicles, in order to cut down the amount of pollution. They also need to realize that factories generate huge amounts of smoke and other harmful gases such as greenhouse gases, and that they have to do their utmost best to prevent this by installing air cleansers in all the chimneys and by building MUCH taller chimneys.)

Yeah. So where was I – the rain. Yeah so I woke up today and – ta dah! – no rain! Its so freaking sunny today though. Its not like the weather is appealing or anything, but it’s an improvement from perpetually rainy weather. When it rains, the whole world seems gloomy, and you can never be truly happy or energetic. But when its sunny, as long as its not humid, its all cheerful again! As long as you stay indoors that is. Coz once you go out, it will seem that you had never bathed. You sweat like hell here man! I think its coz of the dust from all that rampant pollution.

The list of things that the government should be doing here can run for up to a 100 pages on Microsoft word. Seriously. Someday, when I have more time, I will write up that list – I know that even in the future, the state of affairs in India is going to be the same and the fastest way to explain why is: you can’t teach an old dog new tricks [think: the Indian Government = the dog and Tricks = all the new reforms that the government should be focusing on]

Okay. Now I have to go do university research. I don’t really want to go to NUS – I mean I do on one hand, but since I want to do a dual degree with Engineering and Political Science, I don’t think NUS is good for me. I mean, everyone knows its crap for anything in the Arts. Of course, I don’t mean the students are crap – some of them are really good and worthy of better universities – I meant the faculty. So I’m also going to be looking at US universities. I hope I get into somewhere good. Or you know, it would be much easier to make the decision if god turned back the clock for about 15 years, and let me re-live my life (with the exact same exam papers) all over again. Then, maybe it would be an easier choice to make.

University Websites are weirdly confusing. You would think they would make everything as clear as possible so that prospective students get attracted and not detracted. But no. They don’t. After looking at a university website, I have NOTHING but questions in my head. And they drive me CRAZY! I have this thing where I have to clear questions then and there if I want any peace of mind. I cant even sleep sometimes! And then I get pissed with the university – but I have no choice coz it’s a good one!

Or maybe I just think too much. I’m sure the average student wouldn’t mind the questions or rather, wouldn’t even have any questions. OK I admit – im just a weird alien android.

Ok gotta scoot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »